ALUMNI EVENTSCelebrating Accomplishments. Improving Life.
Each year, one individual and one corporation from the Hampton Roads region is selected to receive the award.
The Founders’ Luncheon celebrates CIVIC’s founders, the prestigious alumni and their contributions to Hampton Roads.
Upcoming Events – Save the date!
2023 General Assembly Wrap-up
- Date: Thursday, April 20th, 2023
- Time: 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Event Info: Please stay tuned for more event details!
- Register to attend
2023 Founders’ Luncheon
- Date: Thursday, May 18th, 2023
- Time: 11:30 am – 2:00 pm
- Location: The Westin, Virginia Beach Town Center
- Event details, sponsorship information, and registration
CIVIC Class of 2024 Welcome Reception
- Date: Thursday, September 28th, 2023
- Time: 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
- Location: Virginia Arts Festival, Robin Hixon Theatre
- Event Info: TBA
2023 Darden Awards for Regional Leadership
- Date: Wednesday, November 15th, 2023
- Time: 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Location: Decker Half Moone Center, Norfolk
- Event Info: TBA
Best Class Ever Reception
The 2022 Best Class Ever Trophy was awarded to the CIVIC Class of 2017! We are so incredibly grateful for their extraordinary support and generosity. This is 2017’s third time winning Best Class Ever. Who will win the top spot this year?
CIVIC Class of 2022 Graduation Reception
Congratulations to the CIVIC Class of 2022 on completing the CIVIC Executive Program! We celebrated and welcomed them to the CIVIC Alumni community in May.
Becoming a Global Internet Hub: A Glimpse into the Future
CIVIC Leadership Institute and RVA757 Connects hosted an informative virtual event discussing the I-64 Innovation Corridor’s emerging global internet hub status. Attendees had the opportunity to hear from regional and national experts who discussed the significance of being classified as a global internet hub (GIH) and how it can transform our megaregion. Watch the recording of this event below!
- John Martin – President & CEO, RVA757 Connects
- Sarah Jane Kirkland – President & CEO, CIVIC Leadership Institute
- Vinay Nagpal – President, InterGlobix
- Raymond White – Business Development Coordinator, Virginia Beach Economic Development
- Anthony Romanello – Executive Director, Henrico Economic Development Authority
- Andria McClellan – Councilwoman, City of Norfolk | Chair, Hampton Roads Planning District Commission | Vice-Chair, Southside Network Authority (Fiber Network Ring)
CIVIC Class of 2022 Welcome Event
CIVIC Leadership Institute hosted the Welcome Event for the CIVIC Class of 2022 on September 30th in the Chrysler Museum of Art garden. CIVIC Alumni joined us to welcome the incoming CIVIC Class and to reconnect with their fellow alumni. We were honored to be joined by Dr. Brian O. Hemphill, the ninth president of ODU, and his wife, Dr. Marisela Rosas Hemphill.
CIVIC Reception & Class of 2021 Graduation
CIVIC was excited to celebrate the graduation of the CIVIC Class of 2021 at our first in-person alumni event of the year on June 11th. We were honored to be joined by Maurice Jones, CEO of OneTen, for a fantastic keynote address. We encourage you to learn more about One Ten and the work Maurice is doing at www.oneten.org. Guests were welcomed by Mayor Kenneth Alexander of the City of Norfolk, Rob Cross, Executive Director of the Virginia Arts Festival, and Kit Chope, CIVIC Board Chair. It was wonderful to see so many of our CIVIC Alumni! Thank you for joining us, and a big shoutout to the CIVIC Class of 2021 on their graduation.
State of the Cruise Industry
A conversation with Carnival Cuise Line President Christine Duffy
CIVIC Leadership Institute was honored to be joined by over 200 business leaders and community members for this exclusive State of the Cruise Industry Event on Thursday, April 15, 2021. During this special CIVIC Fireside Chat, Carnival Cruise Line’s President Christine Duffy shared her unique insight into the industry’s plan for sailing beyond COVID-19, and how this focus impacts cruising from the 757. In 2019, the international cruise industry welcomed nearly 30 million passengers, created jobs for 1.8 million people, and contributed more than $154 billion to the global economy. Our region is the home to the only cruise terminal in the Commonwealth, located in downtown Norfolk at the Decker Half Moone Center.