APPLY TO CIVIC SCHOLARS
Applying to CIVIC Scholars
Interested in being a part of CIVIC Scholars? Apply today! The application for the Class of 2020 is now available.
Criteria: We’re accepting applications from students of freshman, sophomore or junior standing during the 2019-2020 academic year. We are not able to accept students who will be seniors graduating in the 2019-2020 academic year. Candidates must be attending Old Dominion University or the Norfolk or Chesapeake campuses of Tidewater Community College and a minimum GPA of 2.8 is required.
What do we look for in future CIVIC Scholars?
Each year, we strive to put together a diverse class that will make the CIVIC Leadership Institute, ODU, and TCC. We look for college students that are:
- Curious and enthusiastic about learning: We’ve never known a CIVIC Scholar to turn down an opportunity to learn something new.
- Collaborative: CIVIC Scholars value teamwork and want to increase their collaboration skills.
- Community-oriented: Our Scholars value the people in their communities and have a drive for positive social impact.
- Professionally Focused: CIVIC Scholars helps prepare students for their career before they graduate. Students who want to expand their professional network and experience a business setting
Nominate a Student
Professors, Deans, College Administrators, current CIVIC Scholars, and CIVIC Executive Alumni can nominate students that meet the application criteria and who they feel would be exceptional additions to the program.
The first step is for a student to be nominated by an ODU or TCC faculty or staff member, a current CIVIC Scholar or a CIVIC Leadership Executive Program Alumni.
Once a student is nominated he or she is sent an online application to complete.
After the application has been received. The student will be asked to come into our offices for a short interview with the Program Manager.
Our staff will assess the student’s application and interview to decide if he or she will be a good fit in the program for the upcoming year.
5. Confirmation of Participation
Once accepted the student must fill out a confirmation of participation to secure his or her spot in the CIVIC Scholars Program for the coming year.
Why Join CIVIC Scholars?
- Connects students with local leaders through personalized mentorships
- Prepares students for careers after graduation
- Provides knowledge, tools, and contacts to enhance leadership skills
- Grounds students in a culture of service
- Integrates students into the Hampton Roads region, encouraging more of them to remain in the region
Follow us on social media to learn more!
What Scholars SaY
Environmental Health Specialist, Virginia Department of Health
CIVIC Scholar, Class of 2015
Eastern Virginia Medical School, Class of 2020
CIVIC Scholar, Class of 2016
CIVIC Scholar, Class of 2017