About UsConnecting Leaders. Improving Life.
Who We Are
Annually, 50 executives are selected to participate in an 8 month program that will provide a deep insight into the Hampton Roads Region. The program empowers senior executive leaders with the knowledge and connections to help advance and deepen their community impact. Nominations are accepted year round.
Each year CIVIC host’s two major community events. In May, our Founders’ Luncheon celebrates the achievements of our alumni and welcomes the graduating CIVIC class into the alumni. In November the Darden Awards recognizes the regions philanthropic leaders. Two awards are presented honoring an individual and a corporation who have demonstrated a commitment to the Hampton Roads Regions growth.
CIVIC Leadership Institute’s alumni are engaged in many regional and statewide initiatives. Our organization serves as a resource to many of these initiatives providing a diverse database of regional leaders who are ready engage and move the region forward.
Some of the key regional initiatives that our alumni are engaged in include:
- Sea Level Rise
- Shared City Services
The CIVIC Scholars program is available to students attending Old Dominion University and the Norfolk and Chesapeake campuses of Tidewater Community College. Nominations are now being accepted. Launched in 2013 as a collaborative initiative between the CIVIC Leadership Institute and Old Dominion University. The program seeks to foster a spirit of civic engagement, professionalism, and leadership in college students of Hampton Roads and connecting them to established business and community leaders, in order to build a community of leaders who are excellently prepared for their careers and a life of civic engagement.
Our Mission & Goals
CIVIC Leadership Institute connects executive leaders through service to improve life in Hampton Roads.
Our goal is to inspire demonstrated leaders to engage in public service. Here’s how we do that:
- Support a network of proven leaders to improve life in Hampton Roads.
- Leverage our leadership network to inform the public about issues facing the region.
- Develop regional leadership for succeeding generations.
Our Guiding Principles
CIVIC exists exclusively for charitable and educational purposes.
- CIVIC values the perspectives and concerns of the diverse populations of Hampton Roads.
- CIVIC shall remain strictly non-partisan and does not take positions as an organization on public issues.
- CIVIC participants and alumni are encouraged to express their personal opinions at CIVIC events, but are expected to do so in a manner respectful of the opinions of others.
- CIVIC does not endorse the products or services of any business or organization and
- CIVIC participants and alumni shall not claim CIVIC endorsement.